HR Unrestricted Truck Licence

HR Unrestricted Truck Licence

The information below is about how to obtain an HR UNRESTRICTED TRUCK LICENCE PACKAGES in an ISUZU GIGAMAX 18 SPEED.

How many lessons will I need?

This can vary greatly based on knowledge, skills, experience, nerves under test conditions, but the average is 8-12 hours of lessons. It may be more or less, but after your first lesson we can advise you on approximately how many lessons you will need all up.

Pathway 1: Pay as You Go $120/hour (GST exempt)

Additional Notes:

  • A “45 – 50 minute warm up drive” before the test, then the use of the truck for a one hour driving test at a Transport Main Roads Customer Service Centre – $330 GST exempt
  • We do not do one day unrestricted HR licence courses. Learning to double the clutch is a skill best mastered over time.
  • Please make sure you watch the Watto Training YouTube videos to adequately prepare yourself for training and the test. Remember: Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!
  • The unrestricted licence option means you will be able to drive any HR vehicle with no transmission restrictions.
  • You may hear some truck drivers say they don’t use the clutch when driving a “crash box”’ however on the driving test with a Transport Main Roads examiner you MUST use the clutch, so we will ask you to do so during lessons.
  • Many clients wonder if they actually need the unrestricted licence. This is a good question to ask. If undecided you can book a single lesson and see how you go – you can always move to the automatic if you think it is going to take too much time/money to warrant the unrestricted licence. We will support you in making the best decision for your circumstances.
  • If you are using your own vehicle, the fee is $80 per hour GST exempt plus Travel

Pathway 2: $1500/hour (GST exempt) for our Standard Course

Additional Notes:

  • 9 hours of training in an HR (heavy rigid) vehicle fitted with a non-synchromesh gearbox (ie an 18-speed road ranger); plus
  • A “45 – 50 minute warm-up drive” before the test, then the use of the truck for a one-hour driving test at a Transport Main Roads Customer Service Centre – $330 GST exempt
  • Additional training is charged at $120/hour.
  • All training sessions start/finish from 1 Robson Street, Clontarf (unless other arrangements have been made – NB if additional travel is required, additional fees will apply).
  • Tests can be booked at the following Qld Transport Departments: Redcliffe, Zillmere, Strathpine, Caboolture (Monday to Friday) – we can book on your behalf as well to assist you.
  • The heavy vehicle learner’s licence fee ($26.20) and the Transport Main Roads test booking fee ($67.40) are NOT INCLUDED IN THESE PRICES.

Additional Information

There are 3 types of HR Licences:

  • Heavy Rigid Open – Condition A (HR – A): Automatic gearboxes only (e.g. a lot of Volvos and Scanias you see on the road)
  • Heavy Rigid Open – Condition B (HR – B): Synchromesh (single clutch like a manual car) and automatic gearboxes only.
  • Heavy Rigid Open – unrestricted: Non Synchromesh / Constant Mesh (Double Clutch) – Road Ranger/Crash Box e.g. 18 speed Isuzu Gigamax

With a Heavy Rigid Licence you can drive:

  • A class LR and/or an MR vehicle
  • A bus (more than 8t GVM with more than 2 axles) with or without a trailer of not more than 9t GVM
  • A truck including a prime mover (more than 8t GVM with more than 2 axles) with or without a trailer of not more than 9t GVM
  • An articulated bus
  • A specially constructed vehicle, including a tractor (more than 8t GVM with more than 2 axles), with or without a trailer of not more than 9t GVM.

Heavy Rigid Course Requirements

  • To become licenced to operate a higher vehicle class, you must hold your current licence for a set period (usually 2 years), and this period must have occurred in the last 5 years. This period can be continuous or made up of different individual lengths of time (excluding any time that your licence was suspended, surrendered, cancelled or expired).
  • An open or provisional class C licence held for 24 months or an open or provisional light rigid (LR) or medium rigid (MR) licence held continuously for at least 12 months.
  • Pay the test booking fee to Transport Main Roads.
  • Pass the Heavy Vehicle Knowledge test to get your heavy vehicle learner’s licence. (NB: If you already have an LR or MR driver’s licence you will already have done the heavy vehicle learner’s test with Transport Main Roads and therefore do not have to do it again.

Heavy Rigid Knowledge Test:

  • You must complete a written Heavy Vehicle Knowledge test taken at a Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre.
  • There are 10 questions in the test, in which you need to get 8 out of 10 answers correct to get your heavy vehicle learner’s licence.

If you copy and paste the web address below, paste it into your web browser then hit return it will take you to the heavy vehicle practice questions on the transport main roads website.

Make sure you can answer all of the practice questions as they are the ones on the actual written test at Transport Main Roads.

You do not need to have these questions done before you take the practical test, but you will only get your heavy vehicle licence when you have successfully passed both the written and practical tests.

How will I be assessed in the Heavy Rigid Driving Test?

You will be assessed on the following key elements of driving a heavy vehicle:

  • Pre-drive checks
  • Manoeuvres – reversing exercise (left and/or right)
  • Gear changing
  • Hill start
  • Specific driving situations (e.g. roundabouts, traffic lights, merging/lane changes, various speed zones)
  • Vehicle operation skills (e.g. gear changing, braking, cornering)
  • Hazard recognition and decision making skills (e.g. scanning and observation, mirror checks)

Questions? Bookings?

If you have any questions or wish to enrol, please fill out the form below:

Book a Course

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Choose a course.....
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.