This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to secure cargo including preparing to secure cargo/containers, lashing and unlashing cargo, protecting cargo from weather, and packing and unpacking cargo. It may apply in cargo securing contexts in the stevedoring, transport, distribution and allied industries. Licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements are applicable to this unit.
- Procedures for managing and controlling hazardous situations
- The marking and numbering systems for cargo
- Problems that may occur when securing cargo or freight and how to resolve such problems
- Workplace procedures and policies for the securing of cargo or freight
- Australian and international standards, codes and regulations relevant to the securing of cargo or freight
- Identifying lashing points and appropriate fittings
- Lashing and securing cargo to lashing points correctly
- Correct use of tensioners, chocks, racks, lashings, ropes, chains
- Relevant bond, quarantine or other legislative requirements
- Relevant handling and safety codes
- Relevant OH&S and environmental procedures and regulations
Skills Required to Participate in this Course
Applicants must be able to perform the following to be eligible for this course:
- Read and interpret relevant regulations, instructions, manuals, notices and signs applicable to their role of driving operations within the road transport industry
- Speak clearly and directly on matters related to driving operations within the road transport industry
- Complete documents as part of duties, including completion of relevant forms
- Identify and solve or report problems arising during the job role of driving operations within the road transport industry
- Recognise problems that may occur in the within the job role of driving operations within the road transport industry and take appropriate action to report or resolve the problems within limits of responsibility
- Recognise hazards and risks in a range of driving operation situations within the road transport industry.
- Respond appropriately to any changes in equipment, standard operating procedures and the working environment.
- Follow and apply operational and emergency plans, systems and procedures
- Comply with applicable road safety regulations and codes of practice
- Collect and interpret information needed during driving operations within the road transport industry within limits of responsibility
- Follow and apply the applicable safe working requirements and WHS/OHS procedures during driving operations within the road transport industry
There are no prerequisites, although it is expected candidates hold a current drivers licence.
Participants will receive a statement of attainment, TLIA1001A – Secure Cargo.
Our trainers are selected for their industry experience, practical skills and knowledge, as well as passion for life, people and learning. The professionalism of our trainers provides clients with the reassurance that their service and delivery expectations will be met. Trainers utilize innovative training techniques and ensure a safe environment in which participants are able to transfer the theoretical and practical knowledge they have gained in the classroom to their workplaces.
On-site (call for a quote)
Lakeside Park – located at the end of Lakeside Road, Kurwongbah Q 4503. Enter through the gates, drive to the crossroad and turn right. Follow the road all the way to the other side of the track and go to the yellow demountable building.
Ian Watson’s Driver Training Centre
a: 19 Blyth Road, Murrumba Downs, Qld., 4503, Australia.
p: 1300 786 088
Fax: (07) 3204 5361
Mobile: 0412 981 528
Postal Address: P.O. Box 241, Woody Point, Qld., 4019, Australia.
On-site (call for a quote)
Central Australian Driving School
63 Smith Street, Alice Springs. NT. 0870.
Ph: 08 8955 0444
Full payment must be received prior to course enrolment.
A student who wishes to cancel their enrolment must give notice in writing. This may be via email or letter. Watto Training staff who are approached with initial notice of cancelation are to ensure the student understands their rights with regards to the refunding of tuition fees. The student is also to be advised of other options such as suspending the enrolment and re-commencing in another scheduled training program.
Students who give written notice to cancel their enrolment and who are eligible for a refund are to be provided with a Refund Request Form. Student who may not be eligible but are requesting a refund should also be provided with the request form so the request can be properly considered by the Chief Executive Officer.
The following refund policy will apply:
Students who give notice to cancel their enrolment more than 10 days prior to the commencement of a program will be entitled to a full refund of fees paid.
Students who give notice to cancel their enrolment less than 10 days prior to the commencement of a program will be entitled to a 75% refund of fees paid. The amount retained (25%) by Watto Training is required to cover the costs of staff and resources which will have already been committed based on the students initial intention to undertake the training.
Students who cancel their enrolment after a training program has commenced will not be entitled to a refund of fees.
Discretion may be exercised by the Chief Executive Officer in all situations, if the student can demonstrate that extenuating or significant personal circumstance led to their withdrawal. In these cases, the student should be offered a full credit toward the tuition fee in another scheduled program in-lue of a refund. Chief Executive Officer may also authorise a refund of tuition fees if the circumstances require it.
Where refunds are approved, the refund payment must be paid to the student within 14 days from the time the student gave written notice to cancel their enrolment. Tuition refunds are to be paid via electronic funds transfer using the authorised bank account nominated by the student on the Refund Request Form.
Our Guarantee to Clients
If for any reason Watto Training is unable to fulfil its service agreement with a student, Watto Training must issue a full refund for any services not provided. The basis for determining “services not provided” is to be based on the units of competency completed by the student and which can be issued in a statement of attainment at the time the service is terminated.
Watto Training takes the privacy of students very seriously and complies with all legislative requirements. These include the Privacy Act 1988 and National Privacy Principles (2008).
Course Enrolment and Student Handbook
Please click on the following links for the Course Enrolment Form as well as the Student Handbook, containing information on our Policies and Procedures.
Contact: Brendan Watson
Telephone: 0459 840 006
Watto Training RTO Number 40791