MR Course Information (Qld applicants)

Watto Training does not deliver MR training in Queensland, the information below is provided as general information.

Please see your local driving school for prices and pathways.

Q: Do I need a learner’s permit for an MR?

A: If you are graduating from a car licence to an MR licence, yes. If you already hold an LR licence, no you do not need to do another heavy vehicle learners.

Q: How do I get a heavy vehicle learner’s permit?

A: Go to your local Transport Main Roads (TMR) and pay the required test booking fee, and answer 10 multiple choice questions. You must get at least 8 out of 10 correct to pass the test. You are only allowed to sit one test each day.

Q: How do I study for the learner’s permit?

A: Click the LICENSING link at and follow the links to the practice heavy vehicle questions. You can also buy a book to study if you do not use the internet from TMR or your local newsagency.

Q: Can I start training without a heavy vehicle learner’s permit?

A: Yes. You can even do the practical driving test without a learner’s permit, but you will not get your new licence unless you have successfully completed both the learner’s questions and the driving test. (NB: this must be arranged in your own time)

Q: If I get an MR licence do I get an LR licence as well?

A: Yes.

Q: How do I know if I am eligible for my desired class of licence?

If you want to check to confirm that you are eligible for a particular class of licence then you should go to Transport and Main Roads or call 13 23 80. (Operates Monday-Friday 8am-5pm excluding public holidays).

Q: Can I graduate from an automatic C class licence to a manual truck licence eg open or B restriction?

A: Yes.

Time Periods for Eligibility

The following table sets out the period you are required to hold a particular class of licence before you are eligible to progress to the next higher class of licence. This period may be a single continuous period or made up of a number of individual periods. Any time your licence is suspended or expired cannot be included when calculating this period.

RE At least 1 year R
C At least 1 year LR or MR
C At least 2 years HR
MR or HR At least 1 year HC
HR or HC At least 1 year MC

To apply for the next higher class, you must:

  • Have held the lower class of licence for a stated period.
  • Pay the practical driving test booking fee and book the test.
  • Complete the (yellow) TMR application form
  • Show your evidence of identity documents.
  • Pass an eyesight test, if required.
  • Declare that you are medically fit to drive the class of vehicle.

Note: If you have a medical incapacity that is likely to affect your ability to drive or ride safely, you will be required to give a medical certificate from your doctor stating that you are medically fit to drive or ride safely.

Note: If you pass the practical driving test, your licence will be reissued free of charge showing the new class.

Learning to drive under your provisional or open licence

Conditions that apply when learning to drive under your provisional or open licence:

  • You must display an L plate conspicuously at the front and rear of the vehicle that you are learning to drive. L plate offences carry penalties for both the learner and teacher.
  • You must only be taught by a person who holds and has held an open licence for the class of vehicle you are learning to drive, for at least one year.
  • You must carry your provisional or open licence with you at all times when you are learning to drive and show it immediately to a police officer when required.
  • You must obey any conditions stated on your provisional or open licence.
  • You must have a zero (0.00 per cent) blood or breath alcohol limit.
  • You are under 25 years of age when learning to drive on your provisional licence.
  • You are learning to drive a class LR vehicle or a higher class of vehicle on your provisional or open licence.

Drink driving offences carry penalties of monetary fines and disqualification periods.

You do not need to hold the lower class of provisional or open licence for a minimum period before learning to drive the type of vehicle in the higher licence class.

However, before you undertake a practical driving test in the higher class of vehicle, you must have held your provisional or open driver licence in the lower class for a minimum period.

Is training 1:1 or in a group?

The trainer to student ratio is usually one on one.

Do I bring food/drink to the training session?

You can bring food and drink if doing block training sessions and/or a test (NB: stops can usually be made if food or drink is to be purchased during training sessions).

Should I bring my driver’s licence to the training and test?


How will I be assessed by the Examiner?

You will be assessed on the following key elements of driving a medium rigid vehicle:

  • Pre-drive checks e.g. hazards, washers/wipers, horn.
  • Manoeuvres – reversing exercise (left and/or right)
  • Gear changing e.g. working down the gear in a smooth and steady manner.
  • Hill start e.g. without the handbrake, without rolling back.
  • Specific driving situations e.g. roundabout, intersections, 40 zones.
  • Vehicle operation skills e.g. smooth and steady acceleration, braking, steering.
  • Hazard recognition and decision making skills e.g. observation and scanning.

Test vehicles (Information as provided by Transport and Main Roads)

For your driving test, you must drive a vehicle that is representative of the class of vehicle authorised to be driven under the particular class of licence.

Standard test vehicles for each class of licence

LR (light rigid) A bus or truck more than 4.5-tonne GVM but not more than 8-tonne GVM.
MR (medium rigid) A bus or truck more than 8-tonne GVM, with not more than two axles.
HR (heavy rigid) A bus or a truck more than 15-tonne GVM, with at least three axles.
Note: the test cannot be taken in a bobtail prime mover.
HC (heavy combination) A prime mover more than 15-tonne GVM with at least three axles and semi-trailer with at least two axles.A truck more than 15-tonne GVM with at least three axles and trailer more than 9-tonne GVM with at least two axles.

A vehicle of more than 12-tonne gross vehicle mass (GVM) must be equipped with at least three portable warning triangles for the test.

On-road driving test times

The on-road driving test times for the different heavy vehicle licence classes are:

  • LR – 25 to 35 minutes
  • MR and HR – 60 to 70 minutes
  • HC – 70 to 80 minutes.

Unless the test is terminated for any reason, the minimum drive time will be 25 minutes for a class LR test, 60 minutes for MR or HR test, and 70 minutes for an HC test.

Uncontrolled and unpredictable events such as road works and traffic crashes may affect the duration of a test.

What if I fail the practical test?

You will be required to book another driving test and possibly more lessons if there are areas of concern on your test report form.

What if I pass the test?

Providing you have successfully completed the theory test a photo shall be taken and a new licence shall be issued.

Where do we meet for the course?

That depends on where the test is booked and is worked out on a case by case basis between client and the driving school.



One thought on “MR Course Information (Qld applicants)

  1. Hi,
    I’m just wondering how long/ how many hours I have to have my MR before I go for my practical test?

    That’s about the only thing I can’t find online and its driving me nuts. (Pun not intended)

    Well hope whoever reads this is having a great day!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *